The Crimson Crown
<< Back to Rules
Pattern is the power of the Lords of Amber. The pattern is literally that, a pattern inscribed upon the floor deep within Mount Kolvir. To gain the power of the Pattern one must walk it, starting from the beginning and continuing on to the center. Stepping off of the Pattern while doing this will end in death. The pattern also kills those who are not of the blood of Amber. If a character is able to withstand walking the pattern, when they reach the center they will gain access to the powers of the pattern, and be granted passage to any location they so desire. Amberites believe that the pattern is the center of all things, and that everything else is a reflection of Amber through the power of the pattern.
I. Pattern Imprint
The offspring of Amberites are born with the imprint of the pattern upon them. A character born with the imprint of the pattern has several advantages even before they walk the pattern and come into their birthrights.
- Blood Curse— When someone with the pattern imprint invokes their curse, often with their dying breath it will manifest, to the great detriment of that Amberite’s enemies. A great Example of a Blood Curse is Corwin’s curse on Eric when his eyes were put out. One of the effects of that blood curse was to aid in allowing the Black Road to reach Amber.
- Regeneration— Members of the royal family of Amber have slow regenerative abilities allowing them to recover from great injuries and in some cases recovering lost limbs or repairing nerve damage.
- Real— The pattern imprint grants a level of reality. Amberites cannot be manipulated like shadow. They are also more likely to be reflected through shadow, and those shadows and people with whom they interact are granted an increase in reality.
Sense Shadow Paths— An Amberite will often be able to sense a recent shadow path and follow it. Generally the path must be found within minutes or at most hours to be sensed.
II. Basic Pattern
Acquiring the ability to move through shadow requires the Amberite to traverse the Pattern, upon completion of which they gain Basic Pattern, allowing them to move through shadow. Walking the pattern is an arduous task requiring significant endurance.
- Shadow Walking— The core ability of Pattern is the ability to walk through shadows, making subtle changes and traveling between worlds. Shadow walking requires both visual stimulus and motion, as the Amberite moves he makes changes adjusting the appearance of the sky, adding a building around the corner, until they reach there desired destination. One can travel to almost any world, though it is not so simple as saying “I wish to go to a relaxing world.” But rather you would make changes towards what a relaxing world might look like. Often times getting a specific change is difficult and may even have unexpected developments. An unexpected dragon is often quite unfortunate.
III. Advanced Pattern
As Amberites become more experienced they further refine their abilities. Nearly any experienced Amberite will have Advanced Pattern.
- Shadow of Desire— The Amberite may now use concepts other than just the visual within there shadow walking. Abstract ideas such as, a place where I will be safe, or somewhere with information I need may be set as the destination. While not always reliable this effect is often quite useful, especially in gaining information about a problem.
The Amberite may find shadows of destiny. A shadow of destiny is simply a shadow that contains some future fate. They can be an entire shadow, or just some part of one. A bird of destiny can be found, that will find its way to someone and deliver a message. A shadow may be found that an Amberite will stumble upon in her walkings.
- Pattern Defense— By summoning the sign of the pattern the character is surrounded in Pattern energy, which shields them from mystical assaults. Bringing up the pattern defense takes between fifteen and thirty seconds, and requires extreme focus. The pattern defense is an internal power, it protects the user, but does not effect the area about it.
- Shadow Affinity— This is the “I belong” power, allowing the Amberite to readily adapt to shadows by altering details in his travels. A character’s clothing can be adapted to fit within a shadow. The money in your pocket becomes the correct currency, weapons and gear are altered to become appropriate to the shadow. The character is able to understand and speak most languages within shadow. Things of reality that are bound to the character can be easily acquired.
IV. Sign of the Pattern
- Focus— With Pattern Focus the Sign of the Pattern is summoned and projected outwards. This can either be in simply an aura around the pattern user or against a specific effect. The Pattern Focus breaks down non pattern effects. The range is limited to those effects directly within the vicinity of the user. Viewing items through the sign of the pattern the Amberite can detect the presence of powers and gauge the strength of reality.
- Infuse— Pattern Energy may be directed through the Sign of the Pattern, infusing creatures or items with pattern energy. This can be used in a variety of ways, infusing something with pattern generally increases its attributes. On creatures it makes them more real, and is able to grant longer life spans and improved abilities. On non living things it generally increases the properties of the item, making it more resistant to mystical effects as well as increasing mechanical properties. It is possible to aim for specific properties with an infusion. You may attempt to infuse a wolf with greater speed for example. Or to add a probability enchantment to a sword that increased the chance of opponents blades breaking. An Item may be infused to grant permanent pattern energy, or to grant them pattern abilities (such as movement through shadow), though this is a time consuming effort.
- Reflection— Objects may be created, seemingly out of nothing by drawing upon a reflection of the item, either from nearby shadow or an item carried on the person or even memory. These objects may be creatures or items. The amount of time and energy to reflect an item or creature is dependent upon the size and complexity of what is desired, as well as what is being reflected.
V. Shadow Weaving
- Advanced Manipulation— The ability to alter the details of a shadow, repairing a broken door, arranging for a fire to start etc. Shadow manipulation is in many ways a power of possibility. If it is possible for something to happen, the odds can be greatly increased, becoming almost a certainty. A bridge may be weakened so that it collapses, when previously it was entirely fine. The enemies armor which was previously steel begins to rust, or perhaps it changes to leather, as it is possible that soldiers were equipped with leather armor. The less visible the change, the easier it is to cause to happen. Similarly smaller changes are easier than widespread changes
- Shadow Alteration— A more difficult branch of shadow manipulation, with this ability the rules and nature of a shadow can be interfered with. This can be done globally or local, permanently or temporarily. A permanent global effect is the hardest while a temporary local effect is the simplest. This alteration can be used in concert with other pattern abilities, like probability or shadow manipulation as well.
- Weaves— Weaves are are a more involved method of manipulating shadow. Unlike alteration which effects the rules within a shadow, weaves are constructs that effect how that shadow functions with the rest of shadow. These can be permanent or temporary effects. A weave might be used to alter how a shadow was accessed, requiring entry through a specific location. A weave could be made to have an effect at a specific point in time, or at a specific situation. Weaves can effect multiple shadows, and in some cases may even travel through shadows.
Echoes— The Amberite may now attempt to feel the shadow around them, or specific items or effects. They can identify when a power has been used, and gain additional information on the source and intent of the effect.